How to File BIR Form 2551Q (Quarterly Percentage Tax)

Taxation in the Philippines keeps undergoing major changes. And whether you’re handling your own taxes or not, it’s your responsibility to remain informed on how your taxes are being calculated.

The TRAIN law, for one, has updated tax computations and filing. One change we’re highlighting today is the revised BIR Form No. 2551Q or the quarterly percentage tax return.

The BIR released this form back in April 25, 2018. If you happen to be freelancing or operating as a sole proprietor, then you’ll likely need to start filing this form soon.

Read on to understanding everything you need to know about BIR Form 2551Q.

What Is BIR Form 2551Q?

BIR Form 2551Q, also known as the Quarterly Percentage Tax return, is a business tax imposed on your business’s gross receipts or sales for an entire quarter.

This form is filed by individuals or businesses which have not opted for the 8% Income Tax Rate or are classified as Non-VAT taxpayers whose gross annual sales do not exceed ₱3 million.

Who Can File Percentage Tax?

If you haven’t opted for the 8% Income Tax Rate, then your COR (Certificate of Registration) should indicate that you are required to file for percentage tax. 

BIR Form No. 2551Q should be filed by:

  • Non-VAT taxpayers with gross annual revenues not exceeding P3M ( most freelancers and sole proprietors who are just starting out fall under this category).
  • Domestic and international carriers except those who use bancas and animal-drawn vehicles
  • Franchisees of either of the following: gas or water utilities;  radio and/or TV broadcasting companies whose gross annual revenues do not exceed P10M; services that send overseas dispatch, messages, or conversations from the Philippines
  • Proprietors, lessees, or operators of cockpits, cabarets, racetracks, night or day clubs, professional basketball games, etc.
  • Banks, non-bank financial intermediaries, and finance companies
  • Life insurance companies and agents of foreign insurance companies

Difference between 2551Q and 1701Q

The main difference between Form 2551Q and 1701Q is that 2551Q is for filing percentage tax and 1701Q is for income tax.

Depending on your situation, you may have to file both if you’ve opted into the Graduated Income Tax Rate. But if you’ve chosen the 8% income tax rate, then you will no longer have to file Form 2551Q .

Value-Added Tax (VAT) vs Percentage Tax

While both Value-Added Tax (VAT) and Percentage Tax are business taxes imposed on the sale of goods and services, there are differences on who should file these taxes.

VAT forms are filed by businesses whose annual gross revenues exceed ₱3 million annually. Percentage tax, on the other hand, is filed when an entity has less than ₱3 million in annual gross sales.

Put simply, if your annual sales has not reached ₱3 million, then you’re most likely filing Percentage Tax.

To be 100% sure whether you need to file VAT or Percentage Tax, check your Certificate of Registration from the BIR.

Another difference is in the rate and computations. The rate of VAT in the Philippines is 12%. And, to calculate how much you need to remit to the BIR, you deduct the input VAT (VAT from your sales) from output VAT (VAT from your business expenses).

Percentage Tax is much simpler. You simply multiply the Percentage Tax rate against your gross sales and that amount is your tax dues payable to the BIR.

CREATE Law and Percentage Tax

What is the CREATE Law?

The CREATE or Comprehensive Recovery and Tax Incentives for Enterprises is a law that seeks to assist businesses as a response to the pandemic with retroactive provisions and lower tax rates.

How can I take advantage of the CREATE Law with my Percentage Tax filing?

One of the taxes that benefit from CREATE is the Percentage Tax submitted through Form 2551Q. From the usual 3% tax rate, taxpayers can now use the new 1% rate for their taxes. This tax rate is also retroactive, meaning this can be applied to your previously filed taxes from July 2020.

However, this tax rate is only effective until June 30, 2023. After this period, the percentage tax will default back to 3%.

How to Calculate Quarterly Percentage Tax?

Your quarterly percentage tax is calculated by multiplying 1% to your quarterly gross sales or receipts. Gross sales and receipts pertain to all the earnings or revenues you receive from your client/business.

Here’s how the formula would look like:

Quarterly Percentage Tax Due = Gross Receipts x 1%

Sample computation of Percentage Tax Due and Payable

Let’s say you’re running a consultancy business, earning less than 3M annually, and receive a quarterly income of P180,000. In that case, if you’ve opted for the quarterly percentage tax option (as reflected in your COR), then the calculation would be something like this:

Percentage Tax Due = ₱180,000 x 1%
Percentage Tax Due = ₱1,800

Hence, P1,800 would be your total quarterly percentage tax payable.

How to Compute Excess Percentage Tax

We’ve mentioned earlier that the new 1% tax rate is retroactive and can be applied to your 2020 Q3 and Q4 filings. This means that the excess amounts you’ve paid to the BIR can be used as tax credits to pay for your future percentage tax payments.

To compute, check your 2551Q filings for 2020 Q3 (due on October 2020) and 2020 Q4 (due on January 2021). Refer to the latest amendment if you’ve made amendments.

Look for the values tagged against the Alphanumeric Tax Code PT010 on Page 2 of the form.

Multiply the amounts tagged as PT010 in your forms and multiply it by 1%. This is the amount you should have paid as per the retroactive rules of CREATE.

After this, deduct this amount (1%) from the Total Tax Dues tagged against PT010 in your forms.

Sample Computation

Say for example you have a total of ₱100,000 as your amount tagged as PT010 in your Q3 and Q4 filings. This is how you’ll calculate how much you should pay as per the CREATE Law.

Excess Percentage Tax = 3% Amount - 1% Amount
Excess Percentage Tax = ₱3,000 - ₱1,000
Excess Percentage Tax - ₱2,000

This means that you have ₱2,000 you can use as credits to pay for your future 2551Q payments.

When and Where Can You File?

You can file your BIR Form No. 2551Q with any Authorized Agent Banks (AAB) of the Revenue District Office (RDO) where you are registered or are conducting business. In case there are no AABs, then this form shall be filed with the Revenue Collection Officer (RCO) of your RDO.

If you’re the franchise owner, you can file a separate return for your head office and for each branch. You can also file a consolidated return for the head office and included branches.

You can also pay and submit your taxes online. Tax compliance apps, like Taxumo, simplifies the tax filing and submission process for you.

The Deadlines for Filing Form 2551Q in 2021

1st Quarter: January to MarchOn or before April 25
2nd Quarter: April to JuneOn or before July 25
3rd Quarter: July to SeptemberOn or before October 25
4th Quarter: October to DecemberOn or before January 25

How Can Payment Be Made?

Payment can be made manually or electronically. If you’re opting for manual payment, you can do what was mentioned above.  Head to the AAB located in your area that is within the jurisdiction of the RDO or file your return with the RCO.

Online payment, on the other hand, can be accomplished using GCash Mobile Payment, Landbank’s Linkbiz Portal or DBP’s Tax Online. Note that you would still have to manually calculate your corresponding tax dues, as these channels require you to already enter said tax due amount.

What Penalties Will Be Imposed Upon Failure of Filing?

The taxpayer will incur interest of 25% plus surcharge plus compromise fee in cases where he/she:

The taxpayer will incur a surcharge of  25% plus surcharge plus compromise fee in cases where he/she:

  • Willfully neglected to file the quarterly percentage tax within the prescribed period; or
  • Willfully made a false and fraudulent return

CREATE Law-ready Filing on Taxumo

Whether you’re a new or existing Taxumo user, the 1% tax rate change is automatically applied to our 2551Q forms. Your tax dues will be computed based on this new tax rate as well.

We’ve added this as a default function so all new Taxumo subscribers can leverage the 1% rate with our 2551Q forms. With Taxumo, there’s no need for painstakingly manual calculations.

To add, if you filed your Quarterly Percentage Tax forms for 2020 Q3 and Q4 in Taxumo, Taxumo will compute the excess you paid and then use those as credits starting 2021 Q1. To do that, simply file your Quarterly Percentage Tax form (2551Q) for 2021 Q2, due this coming July 23, and Taxumo will automatically compute it for you.

Cool, right? We aim to make tax filing easier for Filipinos, so we start by staying on top of BIR updates like this one.

To take advantage of this new rate, head on over to your Taxumo account and file your 2551Q on or before July 23, 2021 11:59PM (PHT). If you don’t have a Taxumo account yet, now’s a good time to sign-up and subscribe for a hassle-free tax filing experience!

Watch our webinar below to see how you can easily file your BIR Form 2551Q on Taxumo!

Key Takeaway

Outside of the math and computations, that’s practically everything you need to know about BIR Form No. 2551Q.

The BIR has yet to iron out other processes, so more changes are sure to come over the year. If you don’t stay on top of things, then you might find yourself struggling with the transition. And always remember that one misstep can land you in a lot of trouble, so stay informed and updated!


You may also want to check out our other articles below:

41 thoughts on “How to File BIR Form 2551Q (Quarterly Percentage Tax)”

  1. hi sir, this is really new to me since i’ve been using 2551M filing before. i just want to ask, how to file 2551Q if you have zero sale? i was trying to file ebirform but when i was about to validate the filing, it didn’t push through because they were asking for the amount..they can’t accept “0.00” should i put 1.00 instead just to validate the filing? i dont know what to do..i was trying to call BIR but i can’t reach them. hoping for your help. BTW, i have an online business but no business operation for the past months that’s why i have zero sale.

    thank you and best regards.

    1. Hi Lalie, Not exactly sure how to do that on eBIRForms unfortunately. 🙁 With Taxumo, if it’s zero, we can file a zero filing for you though. You may want to check out our service – perhaps it can save you time and worry! 🙂

  2. Hello ,I used the EBIR forms in filing the 2551Q and sent the completed form but I had a mistake in putting the correct fiscal year since I am filing the 1st quarter of 2020. I had sent it already and had received the confirmation from BIR. However upon checking, I found out that I should have put the year 2020 instead of 2019 since I am paying for the 1st qtr of 2020. How can I fix it? Is it ok not to fix it? What should I do to rectify the error? Thank you for your answer.

  3. Hello ,I used the EBIR forms in filing the 2551Q and sent the completed form but I had a mistake in putting the correct fiscal year since I am filing the 1st quarter of 2020( I ticked 2019 instead). I had sent it already and had received the confirmation from BIR.How can I fix it? Is it ok not to fix it? What should I do to rectify the error? Thank you for your answer.

  4. I am a college student working part time as an ESL teacher, I got my TIN ID made during the ecq and I don’t have much knowledge about taxes. I do not earn a lot in my part time job and I don’t know much about tax, will I get penalized for it? I only earn atleast one thousand peso to two thousand peso per month and I do not know how to file taxes. I started this job June 2020, will I get penalized if I try to accomplish filing my taxes now?

    1. No penalty if you do not have COR
      Certificate of registration
      or DTI registration
      Because they don’t have the records of you as a taxpayer and your corresponding tac types that needs to be paid

    1. Hindi po ganyan ka advance ang system ni BIR na automatic na magsasabi na dagdagan mo pa yung babayaran mo

      As is where is basis sila

      Yari ka pagnagkabuklatan ng history of your payments, lalabas yan sa system pag magcloclose ka na ng business then gugulatin ka sa penalties nila before they issue you a tax clearance

      You have to settle this personally with your RDO and amend this asap to avoid the imposition of compounding surcharges

      Like do it now ha

      Next time be wary of the deadline, if zero sales, just file zero, that their policy
      File file file even if zero

      Have a good day

  5. Hi! If you have two registered business with BIR under different trade name and both are single prop, should the filing of sales tax (percentage tax) be consolidated?

    Can I file separately for each business and then file consolidated income tax?

    1. If single prop, all in na yan po

      Because the basis of the taxation of the two business is only one TIN number

      Tama di ba, parehas lang TIN number kasi nga single prop

      So consolidate everything

      If may problem as receipts of the expenses, use the automatic 40% deduction scheme

  6. Hi! If you have two registered businesses with BIR under different trade names and both are single prop, should the filing of sales tax (percentage tax) be consolidated?

    Can I file separately for each business and then file consolidated income tax?


    Hi Po question, I’ve got BIR registration last October 27,2020. Dpat ba ako mag file ng 2551q nong Jan 2021 kahit Im just setting up the business last quarter of 2020 and also zero sales pa.

  8. hi. very useful info here. i have paid all my Quarterly Percentage Tax Return for Q1 to Q4 of 2020 using 2551Q (eBIR) via gcash. i didnt use the 1701Q quarterly income tax return for the same period. for the annual income tax return, should i file using 1701A? thank you

  9. Hi I have a question po. I’m a first time tax payer, contractual po sa government office. Do I need to file this because I’m considered as a freelancer. Also is it normal that we are not briefed by the office about the forms na kami pala Ang mag aasikaso and deadlines/reminders of forms na need na i-file. I started working last September and I just got informed sa work… If I filed my 2551q ba daw. I had no idea, I didn’t. Anyway so September ako nag start, means abot Ng 3rd quarter. So 2 Yung na miss ko, 3rd quarter and 4th quarter. I have penalties na. I have people tell me I should have the accounting sa office mga asikaso nito for me. Tama ba yon, or ako talaga. Also if ganon na po, magkano po kaya need ko iexpect na penalty…. I can get my 2307 naman po daw.

  10. hi sir, im efps filers. my percentage tax rates suddenly went 1% from 3%. Ive research it, it states maturity of 5 years. can you confirm this?

  11. Hi do you also enter the SAWT for 2551q as there is only 2551m in the option in Alphalist in the data entry or you just file 2551Q attached the 2307?

  12. Hi goodday! I have some inquiries po. Since pwede po magbayad through Gcash. Wala na pong ififile at fifill up pan na form ng 2551Q? Mula sa Gross sales ko ×1% yong kinalabasan diretsyo ko ng binayaran sa Gcash. Tama po ba?

  13. mary ann tamondong

    Do I need to amend my 3rd and 4th quarter Percentage tax for the excess because of CREATE Law or just reflect the excess in my 1st quarter percentage tax?

  14. Hello, if i applied for 8% Optional, no need na ba to file for quarterly percentage tax? Sa updated COR kse na ni issue nakalagay pa din ang percentage taz – quarterly

  15. Hi, the business that I’m handling paid percentage tax since July 2020-Dec. 2020, however since they hit the 3M sales, they changed from percentage to VAT. Can I still amend the percentage tax returns from 3% to 1% and use the refund to offset our VAT payments? Thank you.

  16. Yung mga Grab operator po ba? Domestic carriers and keepers of garages ay covered din po ba na 1% percentage tax? sa latest version po kasi ng ebir form ay 3% pa rin.

  17. Hello po! Question lang po… I have filed my amended 2551Q through eBIRForms. Since this is to avail of the 1% Percentage Tax, no payment is needed. Is there a need to submit attachments like copies of the previously filed 2551Q, together with its email confirmation and GCash payment receipt? If so, how do I send these attachments–via eAFS or physically to the RDO? Please help as I am unable to contact our RDO and would like to avoid going out at this time. Many thanks in advance.

    1. Hi Noeme, ask ko lang anong quarter ka nag start nung create law na 1% tax due? kasi from 3rd quarter of 2020 until present 3% nagamit ko. The question is anong quarter ko i aaply yung 1%?

  18. Hi! Please confirm… since Percentage Tax is based on “gross receipts,” this means that even if a sold product has been returned and refunded, you will still have to pay Percentage Tax for it? Thanks in advance.

  19. Would just like to clarify. Diba po if interest, it is twice the legal rate (6%)? So 12% yung interest, and then yung penalties po yung 25%?

  20. I just started my business and registered September 30, 2021, The filing of 2551Q for 3rd quarter is due September 30, Should I file 3rd quarter or 4rth quarter?

  21. Hi, i’m self-employed and new in business and want to register it in BIR, do I have to use 2551Q and 1% tax rate in filing and paying percentage tax return? Thanks in advance.

    1. Hi Angel, if you will register this year with BIR yes most definitely you will file under the 1% rate as per the newly released CREATE LAW.

  22. Hello Veni, diba nag start ang create law july 2020? panu kopo ma aaply yung 1% since nabayaran kona yung 3rd quarter ko @ 3%. Magpa file po ba ako ulit for 3rd quarter ng 2020 as amended?

      1. Good sir, nag start po ako nang business this march. Na iregistered ko din po sa bir march 7,2022 dumating ung Sales invoice ko ngayong april 2,2022 mag file parin ba nang 2551q for 1st quarter..tnx

        1. Maria Millicent Dela Cruz

          Since your registration date is March 07, 2022 this falls under Q1 of 2022. Having said that, your first tax filing would be on April for Percentage Tax (2551Q). Hope this helps 🙂

  23. Hi good evening …ask ko lang po how much is the penalty for failure to file the annual registration from 2020….

    1. Maria Millicent Dela Cruz

      Hello Jemm,

      It is best if you can go to your RDO and ask for the list of your open cases and ask for the computation of your penalty fees.

  24. very nice blog this will be helpful for me, thank you guys for posting this kind of information you can get more information about accounting and bookkeeping at Account-Ease

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *